updated shabby background code jan 2011

Monday, November 29, 2010

Avery's First Thanksgiving

I have always loved the holiday season, but this year I am especially excited to share our traditions with Avery and also make new ones that our little family will observe each year.
We started out the weekend with a 5K Turkey Trot in Oceanside on Thursday. It was a lot of fun and money was raised for local schools.
For as long as I can remember, we have been going to my Oma's for Thanksgiving dinner. There is always more delicious food than we know what to do with and the usual arguing over who gets the last of the famous Oma Salad. Aunt Kathy made a super yummy pumpkin cheesecake in addition to her usual apple and pumpkin pies. All were a hit!
After dinner, Alex, Avery, my mom and I head up to Pat and Al's cabin in Lake Arrowhead to have dessert and spend the weekend with the Klingensmith's. Driving up the mountain this year was bittersweet. Alex and I hadn't been up to the cabin since last New Years Eve when our puggle, Bailey, died tragically on New Years Day. I was not looking forward to revisiting the terrible events of that day, but I was equally excited to introduce Avery to the mountain getaway that we previously enjoyed so much. It ended up being really nice to visit and think of Bailey again, and I have found that finally, nearly a year later, my memories of him are almost always of the happy and fun times we spent with him in his 2 1/2 years of life. I love you, Glers, and I always will. The slower pace of mountain life is a great way to relax before the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season begins!
Enjoy the pictures of Avery's first Thanksgiving!

Avery and I at the Turkey Trot
Winners!
Avery LOVED playing peek-a-boo
with her second cousin, Hailey...
And getting hugs from Oma!
Family picture attempt, not so good

Uncle Corey, Grandpa John and the Klingensmiths
Tough to get everyone looking and smiling at the same time!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a blast! Glad that Arrowhead wasn't too sad for you. Time heals all wounds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog as always!! Very well written!!! xoxo

    -Tami

    ReplyDelete